I am in a continuous search for fast, delicious, and healthy meals. I usually take a slice of banana bread to work every day, but sometimes I need to vary my snacks. We live in a world where meal prepping becomes more and more popular and, I have to admit, I am totally caught by the trend. Of course, you can always prep ahead any recipe from Rachel cooks with love or Cooking with Claudia, but trying some new, protein-rich recipes from time to time can be a great way to add some fun to our life :). Having these ideas in mind, one day I stumbled upon an amazing recipe from Josh Cortis recipes.
The delicious Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal recipe that inspired this article
Josh Cortis is a lovely YouTuber who tries to bring us easy-to-make, highly nutritious, dollar-friendly recipes and ideas for meal prepping, healthy breakfasts, and snacks. I found him while I was searching for new methods to cook oats, and his Carrot Cake Bake Oatmeal recipe spoke to me. I tried it and loved the end result. Moreover, the cake remained moist and delicious day after day until we finished the whole batch.
- 3 cups (240 g) old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp (4 g) baking powder
- 2 tbsp (42 g) syrup
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
- 10 tbsp (150 g) liquid egg whites or 2 whole eggs
- 2½ cups (600 g) 2% milk
- 2 scoops (60 g) vanilla protein powder
- 4 large (340 g) carrots grated
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (6 g) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (3 g) nutmeg
- ¼ cup (48 g) brown sugar
- 4 oz (100 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (100 g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp (12 g) artificial sweetener
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, protein powder, spices, and baking powder. Wash and shred/grate your carrots into small pieces. I use the small shredding side of my cheese grater for this. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the carrots and mix.
3. In the bowl with the carrots, add the butter, egg whites, syrup, and milk. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
4. Spray a 13″x9″ pan with oil and add the oat mixture. Spread evenly.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
FOR THE FROSTING
1. Melt the cream cheese and mix in the yogurt and sweetener.
2. Place into a ziplock bag (or piping bag) and set aside.
The best part about this recipe? Just put together the first 6 ingredients and you have a great base for many oat cakes. Add your favorite fruits, flavors, and other sweet/savory ingredients and transform it into something else every week. The texture will be just as moist and fluffy every time.
Josh Cortis recipes
Like many other YouTubers, Josh Cortis has a few playlists that bring together recipes on the same idea. Use them if you search for something specific, or just take a scroll through all his videos and pick your next delicious thing to cook. 🙂
- 6 Baked Oatmeal Cakes
Peaches and Cream Baked Oatmeal
Double Chocolate Brownie Baked Oatmeal
Orange Creamsicle Baked Oatmeal
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
Strawberry flavored Baked Oatmeal
Lemon blueberry baked oatmeal
2. Air Fryer High Protein Apple Fritters
3. Chocolate Chip Pancake Bites
4. Protein Pancakes for the win!
5. Freezer protein waffles
6. Pepperoni Pizza Bites
Meal prep – Josh Curtis recipes
- Breakfast and lunch – 11 meals for under 20$
2. Meal prep for muscle gain
3. Honey Garlic Noodle Bowls in Only 45 Minutes
4. Teriyaki Rotisserie Chicken Bowls
5. Spicy Adobo Chicken & Peppers
6. Ground Chicken Taco Bowls
7. Sweet Chili Noodle Bowls
8. Salsa Verde Beef Bowls
9. Chimichurri Rice Bowls
10. Smoked Sausage with Rice and Beans
- High Protein Mac and Cheese
2. Korean Chicken Kabobs in the AirFryer
3. Chicken and lentil Soup
4. Honey Garlic Chicken Lettuce Wraps
The best part? This channel is just beginning. According to the “About” page, Josh Curtis started it just a little over a year ago but has managed to get over 34 million views in this very short time. I am adding it to my list of favorites!